There are many types and flavors of cake you can make these days. You can go for even ready mixes, that too of various brands available in wide array of flavors to choose from. Simple things like this make life much more easier, especially when you are throwing a party and has no time to make dessert. One such simple but absolutely delicious cake you can make for such occasions is jello cake which is ideal for your kids’ birthday parties. The colorful cake will definitely grab the attention of all small kids and what’s even better is the fact that your kids can also help you making the cake as it is a very easy process. Read on to learn how to make a perfect jello cake by following the steps below.
Complexity Level: Basic
Time Required: 30 to 45 minutes
- 1 box of yellow or white cake mix and the ingredient required to bake the cake
- Sheet cake pan
- 1, 3 oz packet of jell-o, any flavor you prefer
- 1 cup boiling water
- Mixing bowls
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Whipped cream
- Fork or chopsticks
1. Make the cake
- Into a large mixing bowl, pour the entire contents of cake mix.
- Add all the necessary ingredients mentioned on the cover and follow instructions.
- Grease a sheet cake pan with oil or butter and pour the batter into it. Bake it in the oven at 350F for 35 minutes.
- Once done, remove the pan from the oven and leave it to cool completely for about 20 minutes.
2. Make the jello
- Into another bowl, add the chosen jell-o mix and add the 1 cup of boiling water.
- Mix well to dissolve the jell-o completely.
- Stir it in 1/2 cup cold water and keep ready, but do not chill.
- Once the cake has completely cooled down, poke holes in it with a fork or a pair of chopsticks, 1/2 to 3/4 inches apart. Make sure the holes don’t go way too deep to the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the prepared jell-o mix slowly over the entire cake, allowing the holes in the cake to absorb the liquid.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator and allow to chill till the jelly firms, say about 3 to 4 hours.
- Just before serving, prepare the whipped cream and spread it evenly on top of the cake using a palette knife.
- Sprinkle some candy sprinkles and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How can I make a jello cake using different colors and flavors?
You can use any flavor or colour of gelatin or a mix of two or three colors for a cake. What you need to do is prepare the gelatin colors separately and then pour it over the cake one by one in whichever order you prefer. Another method is to make two cakes and do them up in different colours and then layer them one on top of the other, with a whipped cream filling. This will be a more rich and beautiful looking cake which is perfect for birthday parties. You can also go one step ahead and use different cake flavors as well.
1. It is advisable to use plain flavored cakes for jell-o cakes as you won’t want the flavor of the jelly and the cake clashing.
2. Use flavors like lemon, strawberry, orange etc for the jelly. The colors would also stand out better.
3. Garnish the whipped cream with the fruit matching the flavour to give the cake a better look.
Things To Watch Out For:
- When you poke the cake and make holes, make sure you leave a few inches from the pan as the jelly can ooze out once you slice the cake if the holes go way to the bottom.
- Don’t use regular frosting as it might not stick to the gelatin like it does on the cake.