Concept of Jello shots is usually associated with wild college parties. But there is no fixed rule that Jello shots cannot be used in other parties like picnics, weddings, cocktail or shower parties. Jello Shots, short form and common name for Jello Shooters, refer to mixture of Jello and different wine, spirits or gelatin. They are put and served in shot-size servings (usually in shot glasses). This recipe is open to your creativity. Choice of Jello flavor and wine or spirit is all yours. You can be more creative by adding edible coloring to the shots and change its color. You can use cookie cutter to cut Jell-O shapes. Jello shots can also be tried with rum or gin.
If you haven’t already decided otherwise to lay your hands on readily available Love Heart Sweets or some other confectionery items, please read on to know how easily you can prepare Jello shots on your own.
Complexity Level: Basic
Time Required: 10-15 minutes
- Your choice of Jello powder
- Your choice of alcohol
- Jello shots
1. Gather ingredients: Collect and gather the ingredients as mentioned above. In order to make 32 shots of 1 oz you would require 17.0 grams of Jello, about 720 ml of water and 240 ml of alcohol.
2. Mix alcohol and water: Mix together alcohol and water so that you get 2 cups of mixture of alcohol and water. You will have to decide the proportion (so that the shots set) by the proof of the alcohol you are using. You can use the following ratios:
A. 390 ml / 13 ounces of 20% (30-50) proof alcohol mixed with 90 ml /3 ounces of water.
B. 300 ml / 10 ounces of 45 % (80-100 ) proof alcohol mixed with 180 ml/ 6 ounces of water.
3. Chill the mixture: Refrigerate the mixture in the refrigerator to chill. Ensure that the mixture chills completely before starting the next step. This is very necessary because you will be adding this mixture to boiling water (boiling point 100 degree C). The boiling point of alcohol is 78.6 degrees C. If the mixture is not chilled properly some of the alcohol will evaporate and the shots will not be strong.
4. Boil water: Boil 1 cup of water. You will have to boil little more than 1 cup so that if some evaporates, then also you will get exactly 1 cup of boiling water.
5. Mix water and Jello powder: Mix 1 cup boiling water to the powdered Jello. Keep stirring continuously till the powder dissolves completely.
6. Mix the Jello mixture and water and alcohol mixture: Mix these two mixtures and keep stirring.
7. Spray the cups with cooking spray: It is advisable to put cooking spray on the cupsâ inside. This will make the Jello slide out of the cups easily, later.
8. Put the mixture into the cups: Now the Jello shot mixture and cups are ready and you can pour the mixture in the cups.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can you suggest some Jello shots combinations?
You can make different flavored Jello shots . Some of the combinations are Triple Sec & Tequila , Lime Jello, Daiquiri Shot (Rum and Strawberry Jello), Pina Colada Shot (Coconut Rum and Pineapple Jello), Mojito Shot (Light rum, Lime Jello and some Sugar and Mint).
- You can opt for plastic cups with lids. While refrigerating put the lid on the cups and turn them upside down or the Jello will slide out easily.
- You can also run these plastic cups under warm water (for few seconds) before serving. This will loosen them.
- For a colorful presentation, you should make numerous trays with various Jello flavors.
- You will need more cold water if you are using higher proof of alcohol.
Things To Watch Out For:
- You need to find the right alcohol and water ratio. This is necessary so that the mixture sets and doesn’t become too sweet.
- Never put boiling water into shot containers directly.